Eternal on the Water is a real tear jerker. This story made me laugh, think and cry. The story starts with Mary's death and Jonathan telling of their life together. It all takes place against a background of nature that the author, Joseph Monninger, describes so beautifully that I could imagine I was there. The stories Mary told about the crows that were her speciality all had a moral and were thought provoking and Jonathan threw in just enough Thoreau to make me want to go back and read Thoreau again. Even the bear and bunny stories made me pause and think. Although I knew what was coming in the end, I wanted the story to end differently and found myself shedding tears at Mary's death.
Love, Loss and Nature
ReplyDeleteEternal on the Water is a real tear jerker. This story made me laugh, think and cry. The story starts with Mary's death and Jonathan telling of their life together. It all takes place against a background of nature that the author, Joseph Monninger, describes so beautifully that I could imagine I was there. The stories Mary told about the crows that were her speciality all had a moral and were thought provoking and Jonathan threw in just enough Thoreau to make me want to go back and read Thoreau again. Even the bear and bunny stories made me pause and think.
Although I knew what was coming in the end, I wanted the story to end differently and found myself shedding tears at Mary's death.